The Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) has commenced disciplinary action against one of its officers after a viral video allegedly showing the extortion of a motorist surfaced online.

The incident was said to have occurred along the Lagos-Benin Expressway.

In a video shared on the official NCS X handle on Friday, the unidentified officer was seen being paraded before he was handed over to the Customs Police Unit for further investigation and disciplinary measures.

The Service condemned the officer’s conduct, describing it as unprofessional and reaffirming its zero-tolerance stance against misconduct among personnel.

“Following the circulation of a viral video depicting unprofessional conduct by patrol officers, the Nigeria Customs Service initiated immediate disciplinary procedures in line with its zero-tolerance policy on misconduct,” the voice-over in the video stated.

Speaking during the parade, the Controller of the Federal Operations Unit, Zone A, Lagos, CSC Hussaini Abdullahi, stressed that any officer found guilty of unethical behaviour would face appropriate sanctions.

“The Service wishes to reiterate that officers found culpable of violating ethical standards will be subjected to appropriate sanctions without compromise,” Abdullahi said while handing the officer over to the head of the Customs Police Unit.

“On behalf of the Controller, Federal Operations Unit Zone A, Controller G.I. Aliu, I hereby hand over the officer to the Head of the Customs Police Unit in Zone A for further investigation and other necessary action.”

The controversy followed the circulation of a video in which the officer allegedly demanded N200,000 from a motorist.

The driver reportedly recorded the encounter secretly using AI Meta glasses.

In the footage, the officer was seen questioning the motorist over vehicle documents and previous clearances while allegedly insisting on payment.

According to the officer, the driver had outstanding vehicle documentation payments dating back to 2018, which had accumulated over the years.

The motorist, however, responded that similar issues had previously been resolved at Apapa by other officers.

The officer then instructed him to report at the office to retrieve his vehicle key.

When asked how the matter could be settled, the officer allegedly replied, “Go and bring 200,” suggesting a demand for a N200,000 bribe.

The motorist responded, “I kill somebody?” before walking away from the scene.

It remains unclear whether any payment was eventually made before the vehicle was released.

The incident has further fueled public concerns over alleged harassment and extortion by Customs operatives on highways, particularly involving goods and vehicles that had reportedly been cleared previously.